IF YOU like to keep your WhatsApp chats as secure as possible, there’s an easy way to ensure that you’re the only person who can read them.
You can change the settings on the US chat app so that it requires a scan of your fingerprint or face before showing any of your private messages.
The feature works on both iOS and Android, so you’re safe on either operating system.
It’s supposed to give you peace of mind when you hand your phone over to someone else.
They can look at your device while you’re safe in the knowledge that they can’t access your WhatsApp messages.
It’s also great if you don’t want the faff of a general phone lock, but want to make sure your messages stay private.
And it gives you a second layer of security, in case anyone knows your phone’s access code or pattern.
Most read in Phones & Gadgets
How to enable fingerprint or face lock for Android
First, make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of WhatsApp on your Android phone.
If you’re not sure how to do this, open the Google Play Store and locate WhatsApp – and download any available updates.
Then follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp and tap Settings
- Then go into Account and then Privacy
- You’ll then see an option for Fingerprint Lock – tap it
- Turn on Unlock With Fingerprint and confirm your fingerprint
- Then choose a length of time for automatic locking to take place
If the feature ever annoys you, it’s possible to turn it off by following the above steps again.
How to enable fingerprint or face lock for iOS
Of course, Fingerprint Lock has been available on iPhones for a while.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open WhatsApp then go to Settings
- Next tap Account and then tap Privacy
- At the bottom, choose Screen Lock
- You can then choose to unlock WhatsApp with Touch ID or Face ID, depending on your iPhone
- Choose an amount of time for Screen Lock to be required
- Then the next time you open your app, you’ll be prompted to unlock it
Remember that you can turn this feature off at any time.
In other news, check out our iPhone 13 review and iPhone 13 Pro review.
Take a look at the new Lamborghini Huracan Evo that can clean your house and cook you dinner.
Find out about the wildly impressive Panasonic 65HZ1000 TV, which makes most tellies look rubbish.
Read our complete guide to Call of Duty Vanguard.
And Dell’s Alienware R10 Ryzen Edition is a gaming PC powerhouse that crushes both the new consoles.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]