ENTERING special codes into iMessage can unlock special effects for your contacts.
Any iPhone with iMessage can do this – and there’s no need to install any special apps.
Your iPhone has lots of hidden tricks[/caption]
Try typing “pew pew” into iMessage[/caption]
iMessage had loads of advantages, but one little-known perk is the selection of secret effect codes.
There are special words or phrases that you can type into your iPhone and send to a friend to unlock secrets.
Sending the message “Congrats” causes confetti to rain down.
And the same works if you write “congratulations” in a different language too.
Typing “Happy Birthday” will trigger balloons to float across the screen.
Most read in News Tech
Sending “Pew Pew” will create an array of lasers that illuminate the display.
And then there’s “Happy Chinese New Year”, which unleashes virtual fireworks on iMessage.
Other iMessage screen effects
After you’ve typed out a message, you can tap and hold the blue send button to attach any of the following.
- Eco – Fills the screen with message bubbles
- Spotlight – Puts a spotlight on your message
- Balloons – Balloons rise up from the bottom of your screen
- Confetti – Confetti rains down
- Love – Large heart bulges from your message
- Lasers – Laser light show
- Fireworks – Fireworks explode on your screen
- Shooting star – A shooting star fires across the screen
- Celebration – A red firework show appears
Remember: None of these effects will show unless the recipient also has an iPhone.
And these effects are limited to iMessage only – so they won’t work on WhatsApp, Signal or Facebook Messenger.
- Read all the latest Phones & Gadgets news
- Keep up-to-date on Apple stories
- Get the latest on Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram
Best Phone and Gadget tips and hacks
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find those secret features within social media apps? We have you covered…
- How to get your deleted Instagram photos back
- How to track someone on Google Maps
- How can I increase my Snapchat score?
- How can I change my Facebook password?
- How can I do a duet on TikTok?
- Here’s how to see if your Gmail has been hacked
- How can I change my Amazon Alexa voice in seconds?
- What is dating app Bumble?
- How can I test my broadband internet speed?
- Here’s how to find your Sky TV remote in SECONDS
In other news, Google Chrome users have been urged to delete their browser.
Facebook recently rebranded to Meta.
Check out the best iPhone 13 deals in October 2021.
And take a look at your hidden Facebook rejection folder.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]