A commuter train has caught fire as it arrived into the station yesterday at around 4pm.
Flames, sparks and smoke could be seen billowing from underneath the train, as passengers quickly evacuated the coaches. It meant lines between Swanley and Ashford International were blocked until after 8.30pm last night.
The fire brigade were soon at the scene to deal with the incident with no-one hurt.
A fire brigade spokesperson confirmed “Five fire engines and a foam unit were sent to the scene, where crews used dry powder to extinguish a small fire. The incident has since been reduced to two fire engines. The train and surrounding area were evacuated as a precaution”.
South Eastern Railways said that a limited shuttle service was running between Maidstone East and Ashford – and services diverted via Paddock Wood or cancelled.